Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Food Finds!

Before I share my recent food finds, I want to preface this post with saying that I routinely follow Hungry Girl -- I read her daily emails and own several of her cookbooks. So I know that she shares interesting new foods in some of her emails but I hope to share some foods that she has yet to share (at least to my knowledge). Per my dietary restrictions, all of the foods below are gluten-free since my stomach doesn't get along with gluten and/or wheat. These are foods below might be specific to just the area where I live but they're so good in taste, WW points+, and calorie count, that I just had to share them.

The first new food I found is called Simply 7 chips that come in a variety of flavors made with different ingredients. I found these chips when they were on sale this past winter at a local organic grocery store (Newark Natural Foods Co-Op and LOVE them for not only their low calories/points+ but also some of their high protein counts. As you can see in the picture they come made separately with Quinoa, Hummus, Lentil, and Pomegranate. I have yet to try any of the Pomegranate chips. However, my absolute FAVORITE are the Quinoa chips for their texture and flavors. Plus, the Quinoa chips are the ones with the highest amount of protein in them. Additionally, the other great thing about these Simply 7 chips are how many chips you get for one serving size! I highly recommend going out and trying a bag or two of these now. Just make sure you measure/weigh and proportion a bag of the chips out because they're incredibly delicious!

My next food find came shortly after I found the aforementioned Simply 7 chips at the same local organic grocery store. These come from a seemingly small company called Late July. In particular I'm a huge fan of their Multi-grain snack chips but I have to admit that I've only tried a few of the available flavors. So far I've tried the Sea Salt (by the Seashore), SubLime, and Sweet Potato flavors but I'm hoping to try more once I can get a better moderation control on these chips. I love them because they are reminiscent of tortilla chips with lots of added healthful benefits. The only downside to these chips is that you don't get to eat a lot for the amount of points+ or calories in each serving size. They're still worth trying though!

The last chip find of my first Tasty Tuesday: Food Finds edition is called Glenny's Soy Crisps. So far I've found these chips at Acme in individual snack bags which means I don't have to worry about portioning them out into smaller serving sizes. Each bag is perfect when it comes to calorie counts (varies for each flavor) and points+ (only 3 for each bag!). The reason I love these soy crisps is that you get (or feel like you're getting) a lot of chips for very few points+/calories! Thus far I've only tried three flavors -- barbeque, lightly salted, and creamy ranch -- but my favorite is the barbeque crisps. These crisps, like the Simply 7 chips, are also high in protein making them a great snack option!

My fourth food find comes from a convenience store (7-Eleven) that I wasn't expecting to find these Skinny Girl Nutrition bars at but they're delicious all the same. I picked up one of the Dark Chocolate Multi-Grain Pretzel flavors because of the high protein count and the fact that they were gluten-free. I figured one would make a good pick-me-up on days when I don't get in my usual amount of protein (read: weekends when I'm away from home). I've also tried the Banana Oatmeal Dark Chocolate but I have to say I'm more of a fan of the Dark Chocolate Multi-Grain Pretzel bar. I haven't tried the third flavor though, Chocolate Peanut Butter with Sea Salt, but I imagine it is just as tasty. Apparently these nutrition bars are sold at Target but I haven't been to a Target recently to know this for a fact.

Lastly, I found another food find at 7-Eleven which happened chocolate nut-filled truffles called Nutffles. The appeal of these chocolates are primarily because they're sold individually so I can take go on a walk during my dinner/lunch break at work and pick one up when I'm really craving chocolate. Thus far I've only tried the Almond and Red Velvet truffles but I'm a huge fan of hazelnut so I'm sure I'll like the Hazelnut truffle flavor just as much. Again, these Nutffles are great because you can have one truffle for 1 points+ or ~45 calories. If you can find these individually sold/wrapped, they're definitely worth trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment