Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Weekly Weigh-In #16 (week of 4/23-4/29)

My day started out a bit rough as I realized half-way between my house and my Weight Watchers meeting, I had forgotten my water bottle at home. I go to a meeting that is closer to my job than it is to my home, so driving all the way home would have been a hassle for me -- not to mention a waste of fuel/money. So I opted to miss my WW meeting this morning in order to turn around to get my water bottle because I simply cannot go a day without having my water bottle or cup on me at all times.

The good news is that I lost weight this week! The receptionist told me how much I lost when I got on the scale and, while I really wish she hadn't, it was nice to know I had gone down 2.4lbs. For me, it's hard for me to know when I lose weight during weeks when I'm not following the plan 110% or even 100% because I feel it's encouraging bad behaviors. Thankfully the bad habits that I've gotten into this week are ones that are easily fixed so I can shake the habits quickly (hopefully).

For example, I keep snacks upstairs in my bedroom where there are out of sight but readily available to me. Granted, they're single-serving snacks but when I'm not doing well emotionally/mentally, it's very easy for me to eat more than just ONE bag of chips or more than ONE mini snack bar. I come home late at night and there's no one around to keep me in check as far as how many snacks I eat when I get home. Therefore, last night I rearranged a few things in my mom's kitchen so that I could store my snacks in my cupboard space downstairs. Since I get home late at night when everyone is sleeping, I'll have to decide which snack(s) I want to enjoy for the evening before I retire to my bedroom for the evening. This way, I won't go back downstairs for another snack for fear of waking up someone else in the house (or worse, the family dog).

Another issue I've had this week was diving into the bag of chocolate chips that we keep on hand for baking purposes. Apparently I crave, or at least really want, chocolate AND salty foods every single day. So my wonderful mother has agreed to move the container that stores the chocolate chips in another part of the house so that it will be hidden from me. I'm sure I don't really crave chocolate every night but it just started becoming a habit these past few nights that I would routinely go into the baking supplies for my chocolate fix. So hopefully this change will help kick my newfound habit.

As I mentioned in my Weekend Wrap-Up post, I definitely improved this week as reflected by the 2.4lb weight loss this week. However, I know I need to continue tightening the reins so that I can continue losing weight. Plus, if I can control what I eat a majority of the time, then I can enjoy life and learn to carefully indulge for special occasions. My goals this week are the same as last week:

  • T R A C K E V E R Y T H I N G
  • Check off my daily Good Health Guidelines (GHGs)
  • Update my daily WW reminders on my phone

I'm almost tempted to add another goal to work on this week but I feel I need to focus on tracking EVERYTHING and checking off my GHGs for the next few weeks so both become habitual. Then I will start to challenge myself by adding one other simple goal to work on during the week like trying a new food or substituting one of my servings of fruit for a serving of veggies.

As far as Non-Scale Victories go for this week, I've actually had quite a few...

  • My 90-minute, 5 mile walk for March of Dimes on Sunday
  • As I mentioned above, I moved my snacks downstairs that I used to keep in my room
  • During the evenings at work, I've been enjoying a cup of tea with an apple which is incredibly satisfying (especially on rainy days)

Also, I came up with a solution to meet more of my GHGs during my weekends when I'm away from home. Typically I complete my two dairy requirements as well as my two oil requirements by making a smoothie 5-6 days out of the week. I'm unable to do this when I'm away from home (or work, since I keep a portable blender at work) and it's inconvenient to have my necessary ingredients or kitchen equipment on hand so I'm missing out on my 2 healthy oils and 2 servings of dairy for at least one day in during the week. Therefore I've resolved to add my two oils (2 teaspoons of canola oil) to my oatmeal which also counts as my whole grain for the day (not a requirement but whole grains fill you up). Additionally, I can buy a container with only two cups of fat free cottage cheese so I meet my dairy requirements. Then all I have to worry about is eating one or two more veggies when I'm away from home but I'm always sure to pack my usual of 3-4 pieces of fruit and 1-2 snack bags of carrots. It's better than nothing, y'know?

No comments:

Post a Comment