Monday, April 14, 2014

Motivation Monday

I've been doing a lot of thinking since I posted yesterday, wracking my brain trying to come up with an idea for what could be motivational enough for me to reach my goal weight. There are plethora of reasons for why I keep going to Weight Watchers and continuing my journey: my own well-being, improving my physical health, looking better in pictures, feeling better overall, etc. They are all excellent reasons for me to keep going but I definitely need something fairly big and important enough waiting for me at the finish line that would actually make me want to reach my goal weight. I've finally figured out what that is: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

In May 2010, I first went to this theme park with one of my best friends (Cyndee) as a way to celebrate our success of graduating from college. Cyndee & I lived together our freshmen year of college and we've been basically inseparable ever since. The trip was so awesome the first time we went that we both vowed to go back. If you haven't heard the somewhat recent news, Universal is expanding the theme park to add some more Harry Potter references including the Hogwarts Express and Diagon Alley. When we read this news, Cyndee & I both agreed that we would go back in 2015, figuring that would be the perfect time to revisit (a 5-year reunion & such).

There was a part of my first trip to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter that sort of prompted me to start wanting to lose weight. While waiting in line for one of the biggest (and probably best) ride at the park -- The Forbidden Journey -- we were so close to finally getting on the ride when one of the park attendants had me step aside to make sure I could fit into the sample seat for the ride. It was one of the most embarrassing, mortifying moments of my life that had a significant negative impact on my self-esteem. Here I was SUPER excited to get one of the biggest rides in the park and there was a possibility that I wouldn't be able to fit. Not to mention there was a crowd of people also standing in line watching me as I shoved myself into the sample seating hoping I could go on the ride.

It was sort of reality forcing me to realize how much I weighed. Before then my weight was never a huge issue that held me back me back from much of anything. I really didn't care about how much I weighed because I generally had a great personality with loving friends & family who didn't mind me being overweight. However, being at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was a BIG deal for me. It was an even bigger deal to me that I had reached a point in my life where my weight was finally holding me back.

The picture in this post is from that trip to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter when I was probably at my heaviest or near it anyways. I spent the summer after graduating from college a bit lost because my identity as a student for the last 16 years of my life was gone. So I ended up emotionally eating whatever I wanted on top of the last 4-6 years when I was doing the same.

Almost a year later I joined Weight Watchers because I had the means to finally join on my own for my own reasons. Obviously since then I've made some great strides with my weight loss but of course I have the last 40lbs to lose until I hit my goal weight. So after talking to Cyndee, I've decided to make our second trip to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter my ultimate reward for hitting my goal weight. It's a big, attainable goal for myself that I was already planning on doing in the first place but not so attainable that I can do it whenever I want (example: buying a new pair of pants every time I lose 10lbs). Cyndee & I won't be booking our trip until I've hit my goal weight (or I'm 5 to 10lbs away from my GW). My hope is to lose my 40lbs by March 1st of next year which is probably when we were going to book the trip anyways.

I still don't want to look at the big picture because even though I've lost 75-80lbs already, 40lbs just seems daunting because of the roller coaster I've had with my weight loss for the past two years. I think I'll be making more Motivational Monday posts like this with maybe incentives for every 5-10lbs that I lose or when I hit a 5% weight loss. I'll have to work out the specifics of that idea but I'll need to keep myself motivated for the next 10 or so months. However, I know with this trip will be the biggest motivation for me to hit my goal weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment